Monday, January 9, 2017

Settling In

Not much time this week so sorry it short this time!





Here are some things that happened:
Our investigators the Familia Limachi came to church this week! and they paid their tithing! They have a date for may because they don't have much money to get married but we hope we can get them a date to be sooner. I'm excited for them to become an eternal family.
Rainstorm
We got caught in the rain ! We were soaked and it was very cold! There was a drive by egg throwing at my companion while we were sheltering from the rain. that was rude! But we kept working anyways!
Transportation
Lots and lot and lots of walking I feel like a pioneer. When we're not walking we take the Micro(which is like riding the Night Bus from Harry Potter) or a Taxi(which is like Mr Toad's wild ride) Oh, and seat belts aren't a thing. There was one taxi that only qualified as a car because it had for wheels and an engine.
Animals.
Dogs and chickens EVERYWHERE. and black cats crossing your path a much more common.
Hna Orozco
Our sister training leader lost her mini missionary companion and has been staying with us. She is great and from Columbia. Hopefully,  she will get her new companion soon but we are unsure.
BOM 
I have almost finished the Book of Mormon ! It has been such an amazing experience and I have learned so much! I encourage everyone to read it through cover to cover its great! I know it is true with all my heart.
Food
Is there any other way to drink milk than out of a bag? I had cereal with milk (not yogurt) the other day and it was so weird! haha We eat so many BANANAS we've gone through about 2 dozen this week. (its mostly my companion) they are called waleyley here which is the Ketchewah word.
I am learning top really love the work and the people. I am so happy to be serving the Lord and to be a disciple of Christ. I listen to a conference talk almost every morning and they always give me hope and strength that I need for that day and are answers to my prayers.This is the Mission of Miracles.
I'm still learning the language but I have been talking more in lessons. I cant wait to learn more so that I can share the truth and beauty that is this Gospel with these people.
Bolivia
Bolivia is interesting. I'm in an area where it is very very hot most of the time, and there are lots of mosquitos but we got caught in a rainstorm the other day too. There is a mix of Orange County rich people here but also many very very poor people. All the houses have their front yard gated so we knock at the gate (usually banging the lock against the gate) It's interesting. The houses are usually very small and very humble. EVERYONE litters--and dogs and cats roam the streets all the time. Also, they don't really believe in training dogs, so we get barked at at pretty much every house--because for some reason people have barley a toilet but also like 4 dogs each. At first all I could see were these things. But now I've started to notice how beautiful the sunsets are and because of the wind there is a saying that "in Santa Cruz the clouds are always racing" and its true! I love to look at the sky, and there are so many stars at night. Sometimes I can't remember what it was like to not drink milk out of a bag or to expect anything other than chicken or beef at lunch. The people are very kind most of the time. They always greet with touching cheeks and a kiss. (not with the men of course) they always offer you drink or food or both when you visit and its very bad manners to not eat everything they give you. We live on the third floor of a house building place. Not really sure what to call it but there are to dogs that are very mild mannered and quiet. one is Bruno and the other is Perla and Perla is about as long as my hand. I don't ever want her to get any bigger. The members are very kind. We had a family come to church this Sunday! People are very understand about me learning the language and helpful when I struggle with words. We walk so much!

Bolivia is VERY different from the United States. And it takes adjusting. but I am learning to love this work that we are doing and I am learning to love Bolivia. 
Here are some of my favorite scriptures this week.
DC 31:13
3 nefi 27:21
3 nefi 24:7
3 nefi 18:10
3 nefi 17
Nos Vamos!!! y Bueno Ano!!!
-Hermana Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment