Monday, August 14, 2017

Preaching Repentance in Sodom and Gomorrah

So the worlds been up in flames this week. Literally.
So on Thursday night we were walking home after a long and good working day when we looked up to an uncommonly obscure night sky and a bright basically orange full moon. We ran up to the roof of our building to admire the moon and it was indeed beautiful hanging just above the brick colored Tarija houses and rolling mountains. I admired it for a minute or two and then I turned around to go back inside, but what I saw when I turned around was a long orange crack in the dark night sky. I pointed it out to hna Herrera for a moment imagining that the Apocalypse had actually come or the fabric of time had been broken or something when I realized that the crack wasn't in the sky but it was lining the tops of the dark mountains. And there was more a bit farther to the east too. We realized it was moving and the reality of a HUGE mountain forest fire hit us. I realized why the stars weren't as clear as usual because the sky was filled with smoke. I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone. I hadn't heard a word or seen any panic all day and the city was as calm and peaceful as it usually was at night. Yet there it was in front of my eyes destruction that wasn't really to far off.
We watched it for a while and then went to bed. The next day followed with finding out from our pencionista that all classes had been cancelled and people should stay inside from the air contamination. And that the fire was spreading almost to Argentina without any signs of stopping. Chili with their big firefighting helicopters were of no help, typical chili. and the government in La Paz were partying while Tarija was burning.  She told us if the fire got to the city with all the loose electrical cables, that there wouldn't be survivors and likened the situation to Sodom and Gomorrah. We were directed by our leaders to buy face masks and to keep working. We continued our day as normal. The fire continued until on Sunday we were told to stay inside the house unless we had a secure appointment with someone. But not too soon after lunch the fire had finally gone out and we were told we could go out proselyting again.
it was an interesting weekend. ha ha
Conferencia
We had a stake conference this week and were able to hear messages from the general offices broad casted to all of Peru and Bolivia. I learned a lot and one thing I like was they talked about missionary work ,and how if you're a youth and trying to decide to go on a mission, the better answer is yes, because we will never feel like we need to repent for serving a mission but we may feel we need to repent for not serving one. So if you do have the opportunity, you should choose to go and I testify of that because its the best! Also what was really cool is they shared a story of a member named Henry, that everyone thought was a great story, afterward I realized it was the story of one of the members and his family that I know very well from my last area!! Cool!
OK well don't have much time but I love you all, and don't be afraid to do things even if you don't know exactly how to do them, just have faith and act and that's how you will learn!
I testify that Christ lives and he loves and knows each and every one of us individually. He is our Savior.
love you all have a great week!
love and luck from Bolivia <3

Hermana Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment